Monday, August 29, 2022

Miscellaneous Zelda Returning Characters

RETURNING CHARACTERS

So, we've got a lot to do today, specifically to update and refine all of the returning characters who appeared in Hyrule Warriors or any other oddball game from the Zelda series.

First off, we have every rendition of Link, specifically Link, Toon Link, Young Link, and Wild Link. For the most part, I think the refining's already perfect for base Link, since his moveset is built upon the core elements that appear across all game like swords, arrows, boomerangs, and bombs, and although Link had seven movesets, none of them brought that much new or specific to him, so let's move on. Young Link likewise was built upon the differences he had in Ocarina of Time and his specialties from Majora's Mask, likewise already added in. Toon Link was mostly built from Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks, and Warriors didn't really change that. Last but not least, Wild Link also built upon the moveset already established in Breath of the Wild, so he's no different either.

Zelda has four returning forms to go over, including her base self, Sheik, Tetra, and Toon Zelda. Zelda's moveset was already heavily laden with the things that her Warriors moveset represented, so I see no need to change anything. Sheik leaned way more into the music with lots of attacks built on the songs she teaches Link, but I'd still like her moveset to be a mix of the Smash ninja stuff and the music, so maybe we can substitute an attack in with one of these, but its not that important. Tetra did use boiling water instead of bullets, which is an interesting idea, but otherwise her moveset was basically what I imagined. And of course, Toon Zelda built most of her moveset off of the Phantoms from Spirit Tracks just like I did, so we're good there.

Let's talk about Impa. Impa's moveset previously was only built off of Sheik and other random things here and there, but now, we have a whole two Warriors movesets to work with. In the main Warriors game, Impa had a giant blade that she could use in various ways, with some water based attacks and kunai thrown in, as well as a naginata with a bunch of fire attacks. As for the Age of Calamity moveset, that one is distinct enough from the Impa we all know to make into her own moveset, so I would like Impa's standard to be a Giant Blade slash, her side to be a fiery thrust from her Naginata, her up to be a teleport just like Sheik's, and her down to stab the Giant Blade into the ground. Her final smash can be the rain of kunai or the giant circle of naginatas.

Ganondorf has at least three forms to cover, himself, Beast Ganon, and Calamity Ganon. Ganondorf himself wields a great sword I would like to incorporate at least into his standard set, with some lightning and darkness and a trident mixed in. Outside of what we have, I'd like at least for his lightning trident to be a move, but that's it. Beast Ganon isn't anything too original, however, if his beam of red lightning from his mouth is not part of the moveset I would like that to be his standard B. Calamity Ganon returns too, with a more humanoid body that I would like to be the basic avatar body, with the more gaseous forms coming out for certain attacks. His moveset in Warriors is heavily based on all things to do with Calamity and Malice, just like mine was, so I think we're solid.

Now, I want to tend to some species if we can. Most of them, I've had to do a little finagling with, knowing that Warriors was coming. Across the series, the most prominent Gorons have been Darunia, Darmani, Daruk, and Yunobo. I created a core moveset based on the main games, and gave it to Darunia with Daruk as an echo. However, now Darunia, Daruk, and Yunobo now have distinct movesets built around their personalities thanks to the Warriors games, so I would like to shift that old moveset entirely over to Darmani (who we will cover later) and update Darunia and Daruk now.

Darunia's moveset was entirely built around the megaton hammer he wields, with some lava spouts, butt bashes, flaming boulders, and fire hands built into the mix. I would like his standard to be a hammer smash strong enough to make an earthquake, his side to be a fire hand attack, his up B to be a butt bash that sends him up into the air, and his down B to be a flaming boulder. His final smash can still be the eruption of Death Mountain. As for Daruk, he has a lot of brute strength built in with his club helping out, alongside his personal shield and some lava based stuff too. For his standard, I'm going to do a series of rapid punches, his side will be a shoulder bash with his shield in place, his up B will cause an eruption under his feet, and his down will create his shield around him. His final will incorporate Vah Rudania.

The Zoras were kind of in the same boat as the Gorons. I made one moveset and gave it to Ruto and Mipha, but now I'd like to give that to Mikau and create new ones for Ruto, Mipha, and Sidon. Ruto's standard will create a whirlpool, her side will have her ride a small wave across the stage, her up will have her dive into a pool and then burst out of it upward into the air, and her down will have her dive into a pool and then pop up in a new location. Her final will be Lord Jabu-Jabu or the big ball of water she races around in. Mipha's standard will send out an orb of water as a projectile, her side will stab forward with her trident, her up will cause her to swim up in a water spout, and her down will cause it to rain bombs in front of her. Her final will include Vah Ruta.

Though not quite as tangled, I did have the Ritos Medli and Revali as echoes of each other, and would now like to split them. Medli's was fairly close to what I gave her, though I would like to remove all trace of Revali's bow or gale. Her harp is still in place with its beams of light, I would like her to blow gusts of wind instead of arrows, and I would like her up B mostly to be just kind of taking off into the air instead of being blown up by Revali's Gale. Revali on the other hand will keep Revali's Gale and his arrows as his standard, with his aerial kick as his down B and a whirlwind as his side. Medli will keep Valoo as her final and Revali will keep Vah Medoh.

Last but not least, the Gerudo. Nabooru did not appear in Warriors, sadly, but I think she can keep most of the moveset based on the Gerudo, just remove anything distinctly Urbosa. As for Urbosa, let's keep her lightning strike, of course, as standard or down, with her shield bash as side or down, her flipping kick as the up B, and maybe the lightning wave taking up down if the others go to standard and side. I would also like to incorporate her thunder gauge. Naturally Vah Naboris will be her final.

Let's talk some allies! Midna will probably stay mostly as is, though Twili Midna does specifically use the bridge that she transports through twilight, and I believe I had that in Midna's moveset, so let's remove it, and maybe add in her dark whirlwind or another attack with her hair.  Fi will probably stay as is, with all of her various dancing and sword moves, though Din, Nayru, and Farore's help may be a welcome final smash addition (or we can just use Levias).

King Daphnes returns, still making good use of his boat form, so that's all still good. I don't think there's much I need to add. Surprisingly, I think my Marin moveset had more references to Link's Awakening than the Warriors one did, so I'm going to keep it as is. The Great Fairy's mostly good, as I like keeping the three goddess powers as their moveset, though I like the bottle a lot and I think I'll put that as Down B, with the three spells as the other attacks. Ravio, as well, like my moveset, used most of the items he sells you so I don't see much need to change.

Breath of the Wild's in a special camp, with an entire Warriors game built totally around it, so we have a few more allies to cover there. First is King Rhoam. The moveset I already had was built almost entirely off of his early game old man persona, and Warriors did a good deal to differentiate those movesets, so the one I had, I'm simply going to rename to Old Man Rhoam, and give King Rhoam a brand new moveset, so that old one gets a new name and that's it. Then we have Master Kohga, who used a lot of his abilities from his Warriors moveset in the moveset I built, though I don't remember the face laser, and I would like to incorporate the banana aspect. So, standard is face laser, side is the big metal ball, up is his teleportation, and down is the bananas to refuel himself. Final Smash is whatever I had before.

As for the villains, Zant uses most of the things I gave him, so not much need to change. I don't believe I gave Ghirahim the tether mechanic, and I would like to incorporate that. Work it in wherever it fits better than the currently existing move. Most of Skull Kid's moveset popped up in either his or Majora's moveset, so we're good there. Yuga used his brush and paintings, as well as Ganon's trident, most of which I believe I incorporated, so that's good. And yeah, I think I've covered it all.

Outside of major named characters, we have quite a few returning enemy types, including the Hylian Soldiers, Bokoblins, Moblins, Lizalfos, Stalfos, Poes, Bulblins, Deku Babas, Darknuts, Dodongos, Gohmas, Wizzrobes, Octoroks, Yiga Clan Members, Lynels, and Hinoxes, all of which come pretty standard. I see no reason to differentiate the Battle-Tested Guardian from the regular Ancient Guardians, so I think I'm just going to make him a skin. Everything else is mostly the same.

Are we done? I think we're done. Yes! Now, we have . . . I think the final count was twenty-eight newcomers. We'll see tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment